The restoration and rehabilitation of the 1796 Barn complex and separate Bunkhouse, which includes a new foundation and a drainage system, will preserve the restored Barn complex for the next 100 years. The renovated Bunkhouse provides a handicapped accessible restroom, kitchenette, and office space for the Farm Alliance. The Barn Complex and Bunk House are situated on a 24-acre parcel of land that also includes the 1796 Dutch Colonial Farmhouse, still occupied by Jim Cropsey, heir to the original owner. The entire property, including the Historic Cropsey (Rippon) Barn and Bunkhouse, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2017.
The restored Cropsey Barn is a wonderful “Red Barn” with restored wide plank flooring, doors, window, siding, roofing, and a heavy timber frame. Together with accessible lofts and period-appropriate lighting, the restored barn demonstrates a sensitivity to the historic character and the contextual fabric of the barn adjoining a historic farmhouse and surrounding farm fields. The Cropsey Barn and Bunk House are alive again and provide the public with a historic resource to be cherished and revered for decades.